Thursday, September 19, 2013

Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton reunite in "You Can't Make Old Friends"

In 1983 Kenny Rogers invited Dolly Parton to record “Islands in the Streams” with him, a now legendary song that became a huge hit and is considered one of the most successful duets of all time. Now, 30 years later, Kenny once again invited Dolly to record a new duet, “You Can't Make Old Friends”, for his upcoming album of the same name. I just saw the promo video a few minutes ago, and I’m still trying to find words to express what I’m feeling. Watching Kenny and Dolly together is always amazing, they have such a strong chemistry between them it almost jumps out of the screen, and to see these two living legends working together once again pretty much takes my breath away… The song is simple, yet touching, it talks about a friendship that has lasted a lifetime, about the memories they have shared and how new friends, although welcome, could never take the place of an old one when they are gone. In the video Kenny is singing alone in an empty theater  and Dolly sings her part in front of a mirror, with some occasional old footage of the couple. At some point Dolly stands up, looking gorgeous as always, and walks in the theater to meet Kenny, where they finish the song in a visually stunning scene. It touched me, really, because their friendship is not just a front, it is a life-long partnership that began professionally and progressed into a personal relationship that to this day give gossip magazines something to talk about. I admire Kenny’s voice, and I love everything about Dolly, and although they are both amazingly talented in their solo careers, together they make the most charismatic partnership in show business since Sonny and Cher. Those who know me can testify that I’m a sucker for old stars, which is true. I admire people who love what they do, despite money and fame, and legends such as Dolly and Kenny are high on my list of favorites. This collaboration is a landmark for country music and I’m super thrilled with this new video. I just hope Kenny and Dolly don't wait 30 years to make another duet, though. 


Watch the "You Can't Make Old Friends" Video:



No comments:

Post a Comment