Saturday, January 26, 2013

About the Nightwish split from Anette


Last year, on September 17, 2012 I had the time of my life at a Nightwish concert at the Palladium in Worcester, MA. It was my second time seeing them, the first time being exactly 5 years and 17 days before that day, at the exact same place. But this time it was special, and much more meaningful.  In the past 5 years my love for the band had grown considerably, their latest album was a masterpiece, the set list consisted mostly of songs that I loved, and I had VIP tickets so I got to meet and interact with the whole band and a spot at the front row (where I took the picture above). It was truly a magical and unforgettable day for me.  But little did I know that less than a month from that day Nightwish would part ways with their lead singer, Anette Olzon. The news came as a shock for me, I surely did not see that coming, and I was disappointed and heartbroken. Still am. I avoided talking a lot about it because none of my friends really liked the band, so there really wasn’t anyone who could understand how I felt. Well, that’s what blogs are for, or so I like to think. Truth is, I’m still heartbroken and still can’t fully believe what happened, and I realize that’s just me being in denial, but I can’t help it. I haven’t listened to their last two albums because hearing Anette’s voice hurts. I have a lot of respect for Floor Jansen, who stepped in to finish the tour in Anette’s place, but I personally can’t bring myself to watch her singing the songs I was so excited to hear in Anette’s voice. It bothers me, and it brings back bittersweet memories that I can’t really deal with at the moment. I guess it is history repeating itself since Anette is the second singer to leave (or be fired, whatever) the band, but when they parted ways with Tarja I didn’t really know them, so I was neutral. I miss the band and their music, and I know that eventually I’m going to come to my senses and be able to enjoy Nightwish again. But at the moment, I’m still in mourning. I get it, sometimes what’s best for the artists may not be what the fans want, and that the band will keep on going despite who wants out. I just wish Nightwish (meaning Tuomas Holopainen) would respect their singers, and the fans who spend so much money to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment