Sunday, January 27, 2013

The tragic fire that killed over 200 people in Brazil

Today I went on Facebook and saw the following post from Lady Gaga: “My heart is with you Brazil. Sending my prayers to the families and friends who lost loved one in the fire in Brazil. I'm thinking of you today during this tragedy.” I scrolled down a little and saw all the other posts from my family and friends from Brazil about this tragedy, so I looked it up on Google. Sometime this morning a fire started in a night club in Santa Maria, Brazil. Updates came all day from websites and TV news about the number of the deceased, and as I write this the final report is on TV: 234 dead, over 120 injured. I can only imagine the pain of the victims as chaos took over. Most people died from asphyxiation, but some were burned and there were even some people who were stepped on by the crowd. It was such a huge tragedy that it touched the whole country. Most TV shows in Brazil changed their normal programming to give reports on the fire, and even the president of Brazil, Dilma Rousseff, cut short her visit to Chile and flew in to Santa Maria to personally talk to the families of the victims.  There is nothing anyone can say or do that can ease the pain of the families and friends of the victims. My thoughts and prayers go to them at this very difficult time, and I pray that God gives them strength and the will to go on as they mourn their loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment